“Organic Agriculture is a production system that sustains the health of soils, ecosystems and people. It relies on ecological processes, biodiversity and cycles adapted to local conditions, rather than the use of inputs with adverse effects. Organic Agriculture combines tradition, innovation and science to benefit the shared environment and promote fair relationships and a good quality of life for all involved” (IFOAM definition). IFOAM is the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements
Organic farming is important from the aspect of environmental protection, biodiversity, soil conservation and soil fertility, animal health and consumers’ protection.
Organic farming is a way of producing food that respects natural life cycles. It minimizes the human impact on the environment and operates as naturally as possible, in accordance with objectives and principles including the following:
- Crops are rotated so that on-site resources are used efficiently,
- Chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, antibiotics and other substances are severely restricted,
- Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are banned,
- On-site resources are put to good use, such as manure for fertilizer or feed produced on the farm,
- Disease-resistant plant and animal species adapted to the local environment are used,
- Livestock are raised in a free-range, open-air environment and are fed on organic fodder,
- Animal husbandry practices are tailored to the various livestock species.
Organic farming methods emphasize the use of renewable resources and conservation of soil and water.
Multifunctionality in organic farming
Organic agriculture seeks to apply the concept of multifunctionality in practice in specific work and living spaces, including...
Agritourism and rural tourism
The difference between rural tourism and agritourism is in the criterion according to which it is defined, primarily because rural tourism...
Within the framework of the project Organic Agriculture Innovation Platform, we created a brand-new Curriculum for organic agriculture...
Successful story – Zoralek
The brand Floreo was founded by Zoralek in 2015 with the support of the European Bank. Together with the digital marketing agency Nova...
Certified organic products are those which have been produced, stored, processed, handled and marketed in accordance with precise...
A successful donkey farm near Zadar: Why the donkey is a man’s best friend?
The donkey has been a good friend of mankind since time immemorial. In the past, in the Mediterranean area, the donkey was an...